Saturday, September 6, 2008

Emma's First Day of School

Emma's first day of school was actually her orientation. Since my first day of school was just Freshmen and I have Juniors and Seniors this year, I was able to meet her at the school and meet her teacher. As I walked around the building to her room, I told myself, "Don't cry, just don't cry. Do you see anyone else crying? NO! Don't cry!" So, I promptly began crying when I saw our little girl with her first day of school dress on and her princess backpack snuggled up against her little back. After wiping away the tears, we walked to her classroom and waited for the teacher. Once inside the girls traced their hands, cut them out, wrote their names on them and put them in their "mailbox". We listened to a neat story about a little racoon that didn't want to leave its mommy to go to school and the mommy kissed its' hand saying he would always have his mommys kiss whenever he wanted it--so I cried again. And then we left. The next day Emma went for the entire half day and when I talked to her on the phone she loved it. I think the love of getting up and going to school in the morning is starting to wear off; she gets a little overtired by the end of the day and not so excited to see me at 6:40 in the morning. So, after her first real day of school we met daddy at Red Robin for our celebatory dinner and came home for ice cream before bed. She does writing first thing in the morning, then reading, a short recess, and some Math before going to Mary's for lunch. She has learned that the lines are called the headline, beltline, and footline; that you start at the head line, not by the stinky feet on the footline; that most letters have a monkey's tail at the end; that recess is really fun; and that she doesn't like to do homework when daddy and Owen are playing tackle. We are off to a good start. Oh, and at the end of every day the teacher, Mrs. Richards, gives the students a green paw if they were good for the day and Emma ended the week with green paws for everyday!

No comments: